The North West Ethnic Minority Achievement Hub is part of NASSEA, and works closely with colleagues in local authorities and schools to provide a programme of continuing professional development to meet the needs of EAL/BME pupils in primary and secondary schools.
All our courses and events are designed to support managers, teachers and teaching assistants in educational settings as well as EAL specialist staff.
Our aims are:
- to increase understanding of how best to meet the needs of EAL/BME pupils;
- to provide practitioners with practical strategies they can adapt and use in the classroom;
- to provide the opportunity for colleagues from different settings to share best EAL practice.
Who runs it?
The hub is currently coordinated by Khalid Irshad in EDS, Stockport and Janna Welsby in CLAS, Bury. Each year EMA managers from local authorities in the North West are consulted on future events and themes for the following year, and a CPD programme is planned based on the information received.
What help do we need?
Everyone can help and support by:
- attending workshops and training events and helping to advertise them;
- sharing ideas and thoughts about what the Hub needs to provide;
- visiting the Hub part of the NASSEA website and informing others of what it has to offer.
Please call us on 0161 253 6422 or 0161 253 6423 for further information, or email [email protected].